Warning Signs That Your Titles & Headlines Sucks [Updated]
Why Do Headline Matters?
Compelling headlines are critical to a successful content marketing strategy.
It’s the first (and possibly only) chance to attract attention to a piece of content.
Headlines set expectations for the reader – and if the content inside doesn’t hold up, readers could lose in the source.
Where Did The Date Come From?
Outbrain analyzed HubSpot’s expansive data to uncover key trends about headline performance.
We drew a sample of more than 3.3 million paid link headlines from the pool of English language
paid links that ran across Outbrain’s network of 100,000 + publisher sites from Oct 2013 to Sep
Goals Marketers Have for Content
Each goal has its own metric for success, and each does something different for your organization.
#The Good: What Drives People to Click on Headlines?
- (38% CTR Increase) Including bracketed clarification, for example, Infographic, Interview, SlideShare, Video
- (37% CTR Increase) Including “Photo’ in the headline
- (22% Including “Who” in the headline)
#The Bad: What Drives People to Not Click on Headlines?
- (59% CTR Decrease) Including “Tip” & “Magic” in the headline
- (58% CTR Decrease) Including “Credit” in the headline
- (49% CTR Decrease) Including “simple” & “Cure” in the headline
- (44% CTR Decrease) Including “need” in the headline
- (41% CTR Decrease) Including “Free” in the headline
- (26% CTR Decrease) Including “secret” in the headline
- (23% CTR Decrease) Including “Trick” in the headline
#The Good: What Causes People to Take Actions?
#The Bad: What Reduce Conversion Rates?
How Long Should a Headline Be?
- Best for Social: 117 characters or fewer so it’s tweetable
- Best for Search: Under 65 characters so it displays fully in the search result. Put keywords neat the front to make it more attractive in search results.
- For Highest CTR: 81-100 characters 43%, 61-80 characters 38%, 41-60 characters 30%, 21-40 characters 25%.
- For Best Post-Click Engagement: 21-40 characters
Google’s Title Tag Rewrites, Links you Can Ignore, and Four SEO Questions Answered
How to improve your Click-Through Rate (CTR) using Google Search Console
- Making sure an essential keywords and phrases for the web page appeared in the meta description.
- Making sure the main keywords were first in title tags.
- Edit meta descriptions so they were more readable and purposeful.
- Made sure the meta descriptions were as compelling and as relevant as possible.
- Made sure meta descriptions were no more than 135 – 160 characters long
- Made sure title tags were 50-60 characters long, including spaces.
- Made sure headlines (<h1> tag) were not the same as the title tag.
- Removed identical meta descriptions and title tags.
- Used rich snippets, in the form of Schema markup, to add elements such as visible star ratings to my results.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- 3 Must-Have Google Chrome Extensions To Increase Your Productivity
- Infographic: Content Marketing Trends You Need to Know About
- Finally! Website pop-ups will soon negatively affect SEO – [January 10, 2017]
- Browser Notifications on WordPress.com
- 26 of the Best LinkedIn SlideShare Presentation Growth Hacks
- December 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- November 2010
- September 2010
- February 2009
- How to Improve #SocialMedia Engagement Without Paying for Ads [Infographic] buff.ly/2iHVOCd… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…Alok Raghuwanshi 13 hours ago
- Internal Linking: How to Build and Improve Your #SEO buff.ly/2jJNcwE https://t.co/4S5hU6Cz0yAlok Raghuwanshi 13 hours ago
- How to Attract Your Ideal Customer with Perfectly Positioned Content buff.ly/2jJ7F52 #contentmarketing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…Alok Raghuwanshi 18 hours ago
- Its show lawyer was smarter than our police and judges #SalmanKhan #JodhpurAlok Raghuwanshi 18 hours ago
- RT @jeffbullas: 79 Power Words to Create Striking Content For Your Blog ow.ly/50Pg302MIag #powerwords #blogging https://t.co/oMPmfY0H…Alok Raghuwanshi 1 day ago